Return Of The Weeper

Not all Chinese blades are too dull for me -- I think I've had a pretty good time with Flying Eagle and Rimei, documented somewhere here, along the line. After Tian Fu, I tried He Tian, which turned out to be another one-timer. That one finished by raking over the hair painfully, though I got a sense that fifty passses or so might have chipped the beard away eventually.

When I switched to Baili brand, yesterday, I knew I was safely back in the realm of sharp satisfaction. It was as clear as the difference between shaving, and not shaving. This company clearly set its sights on the Western market with good quality Tech and Super Speed clones as well.

But I was surprised to find little nicks and weepers, particularly two under my nostrils. I don't think it was the dull blade that got anywhere near skin. Well, I considered, I don't usually do a five-pass shave... and the last two were sort of reckless, when the resistance was suddenly taken away. I had also changed to a more surgically precise razor, my #1, the Rimei.

But then again, today, I found a weeper on the jawline, despite a more collected routine, trying to retain what I learned from the Merkur. It seems to be a hazard of less edge contact and better preserved skin, that when the edge does make contact, you're more likely to see this. I'm reminded of one well-known YouTuber who frequently raises them, despite insisting on "no pressure." Paul H. doesn't shave every day, and usually claims freedom from any burning associated with the blood. That was my experience, also.

I really hope that I can adapt my new approach of non-exfoliating, total skin avoidance to sharper blades and a more efficient razor, without seeing that on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment