Not For Beginners

So it's been a week, and I've gradually worked the BD191 down to the hair roots. Given its mild first impression, the journey was surprisingly perilous. A quarter turn on the handle brought my Personna Platinum Chrome to the right depth, but it was a decidedly low-angle shave, digging hard at the roots. But then the blade was very selective in which hairs it would cut, inviting over-shaving. I think that because dormant and immature follicles have less deeply rooted hair, and there's no extraction factor in play, they, along with the many oddly-angled hairs, cannot brace for the cut and just get plowed over.

Still, my skin loves this approach. It's like a shavette with just the bare minimum of safety, or presumably, a Gillette Brownie. And I just had a flashback to when I was 4 -- that's how my grandfather knew the Old Type, but since I didn't know anything about Scouting, either, I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. Or Gram, for that matter. Oh, yes, I'm sure they were both conversant in the entire Gillette product line, talking over my head between the bathroom and adjoined livingroom.

I love that connection with the past. I just don't have the old-timey discipline. There's so much going on with the blade side of things, I don't have the attention to give to hair softening, either. The natural pairing, given the effort I'm willing to put in, is the Italian Barber, alone. Both are about physical skin protection. Finally, a balm can be improvised by combining Dollar Tree 3-in-1 Lubricating moisturizer with a little splash.

And maybe that's just where most shavers are coming from, on a day-to-day basis.


No comments:

Post a Comment