The Itching!

Although my Xmas beard seems to be growing fairly well directed away from the skin, rather than curling back into it, I've experienced some terrible scratching sensation this week. Stroking seemed to drive the root into nerve endings like little thorns. Or maybe it's a lever action, splitting that layer of the epidermis. Anyway, it seems that the new wave of epithelium, unaffected by shaving, has surfaced to a depth that interacts with the hair follicles.

In response, rather than dabbing a little lather on my cheeks and neck, I brought out the No. 6 brush, Pre de Provence No. 63, and gave my whole beard a good scrub. As I've previously noted, itching is the result of over-expansion of deep tissue, relative to the surface. Glycerin swells the outer crust to match. I think I'm through the worst of it, now.

Locking in my soap choices


Regardless, PdP No. 63 had to be cut out of the ceramic dish near my sink, and Fine Green Vetiver chopped to take in its place. When I tried the old knuckle maneuver, Fine just flaked apart like fudge (very, very hard fudge), so I figured I'd save my digits the pain. It pressed quite well into its new home, though; even bettter than the PdP went back into its old tin.

A home was conveniently provided for WTP Lime Burst by the manufacturer. I just pressed with thumbs near the edge to widen the puck tight to the wall of the container.

With triple-milled soap especially, it's a lot more satisfactory to have a vessel containing the water that isn't initially thick enough to be drawn into the brush, as you gently stir to dissolve soap. To do it with Williams requires a tiny cup, which may leave you rattling your brush handle. Might as well use your hand. A container filled to the rim is easily spilled, and no good for running the liquid out of the brush for further concentration. Half-filled containers are just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment