A Postmodern Paragon

Since Washington, D.C., I've been keeping with not-so-close shaves and extended blade use, because I think that historically, men would have shaved that way. With the extra attention to shadows around the mouth that a primarily WTG shave requires, I know that this is exactly what I saw my grandfather do, that one memorable day when I was only four years old. No way would the old timers have undertaken my journey to everyday BBS. Four years to figure out my follicle-excavating attack, the ideal soaps, the perfect blade, the -- okay, a mundane razor, then, would have been excellent by today's standards, but you know what I mean.

Gramps might have just shook his head and chuckled at my cheapskate "collection," but I know there's one razor that would have caught his eye, at least: that Ming Shi Futur clone. Whereas the burn-prone Weishi continued to disappoint me, when I employed a WTG-only approach, the nick-happy Ming Shi just kept cranking out fairly close, easy shaves. It pushed even a Cloud into multi-week use. Starting at the optimal setting of 2.5, I shaved again WTG at a slightly more dangerous "3." Then back to 2 ATG, to blunt the horribly pointy stubs. I cannot shave for depth ATG, because the distant safety bar doesn't pry the hair apart from its follicle.

"Velvety." I think it's the high degree of exfoliation, sensitizing to touch, combined with the absence of any breach. But don't let that angle rise too high, or... gotcha! It has limitations similar to a shavette, but in exchange, becomes even smoother in use than the classic DEs.

No comments:

Post a Comment