The EOL BBS Dilemma

Crrrrunch! Ah, the satisfaction of a smooth blade taking the hair off at the root. This is why I let them get a little dull before tossing them. The skin is not exfoliated to the degree it is with a sharp blade.

There's some action deep in the follicles, however, as the blade comes into contact with an internal organ, said hair root. Mixing blue dollar store splash with dollar store men's moisturizer to make a balm, I feel some healthy sting.

Not accounting for personal development, I would have to conclude that, despite having had the best shave of a long series with this blade, it is time to pitch it, after less than two weeks. If I were shaving with a straight razor, I would hit the stones.

But I walk a different path. I will seek a technical solution. Today, I shaved with oil and Williams. Oil, I have theorized, effectively makes the edge less efficient, requiring a more direct cut. Sparing the skin, but making it easier to miss hair as well. I don't need it. I think I can speed up my strokes quite a bit, and try some softening tricks.

Williams in a mug


Slow stirring to dissolve the soap, followed by tilting the mug and whipping, with minimal puck contact, I did manage to get some lather in my No. 6 horsehair brush. The learning of the day was to drip some water into the foam, which sort of protects the puck if you're careful, so you don't just dissolve more soap. Still, I found it easier to work on my face, and it was not as good as bowl or palm lather. I appreciated the simplicity of it, though.

This challenge, which a great number of beginners unfortunately attempt, is actually the last thing one should try. It's the lathering equivalent of everyday BBS. Rather, I suggest one who has not yet experienced the wholesome goodness of Williams do it like this fellow:
https://youtu.be/qSy8pTjE0uY

No comments:

Post a Comment