At Least My Sideburns Are Even

I can't help but try my DE stuff whenever I use the Sedef shavette, and it always ends poorly. As soon as I'm on a roll, and start thinking it's okay to slide... *&@! the thing whips me. Good thing I've got the boo-boo juice now.

My conceptual framework continues to grow, even if my skills do not. I would describe the experience as no-lift shaving. One pulls the skin to try and erect the hair to the correct angle, rather than deviate from the safest cutting pitch. XTG and stretching skin actually make sense here, because you still have to extend the hair, no matter which direction you shave. I can hardly get a close shave, but if I discipline myself to those restrictions, I can tolerate shaving twice a day. By the fifth shave (third morning, today) I finally had an acceptable result. And I can still do a bit of sliding.

Suddenly I see that I have underestimated the influence of open blades on the neotraditional shaving culture. From this perspective, you could say blade choice is critical, and go with the one that is least harsh to your skin, so that some tiny quantum of leverage may be applied; alternatively, you may insist that the hair must be so soft that it is cut by the force of its own flexion. These technical concerns just happen to coincide with the limitations of modern razors, which don't physically allow pitch deviation. The two otherwise isolated wet-shaving constituencies thus form a political axis -- a Pivot of Evil.

Feather's rounded-shoulder blade holders, then, must be considered our DE allies.

No comments:

Post a Comment