It's All Toning

Sweet Jesus! I awoke, this fine Sunday morning, with the nose pores of a 16-year-old girl. Thirty years fighting the nasty nose goblins, and the decisive battle took less than three days? That's how technical advance is supposed to work, folks! And now, a word from our sponsor...

Kill me. Eat me. Annoint yourself in my essence.

The most glaring possible counterexamples to my re-imagining of exfoliation as a tension adjustment are the cosmetic treatments people give to the thickest skin of all, on the soles of the feet. You think a razor is harsh? Look at those power grinders and cheese graters! I had heard of the acid peels before, when someone incurred a disfiguring injury by accident, but it's gross enough when it works as intended.
http://www.onemedical.com/blog/live-well/baby-foot-safe/

Now that sounds sort of like a combination of alcohol shaving gel with pumpkin juice, doesn't it? I would never do that... let's just say, it wouldn't be my first foot rodeo. But could this help explain my flaky face episodes? The reviewer (and I presume the manufacturer) claims that the desmosomes are "destroyed"; whereas, in the medical research article from the last post, glycolic acid did no such damage. I think my liquid skin theory can account for that discrepancy.

As moisture is driven into the skin by the gel (as dermatologists suggest is the benefit of gels), and living cells are simultaneously killed with alcohol (my assumption), The SC is reorganized by fruit acid, reforming in the shape of the underlying, swollen tissue. The peel would form when the cytoplasmic volume of the granular layer is subsequently lost, after drydown, when the SC can no longer be trimmed. It retains the larger surface area that covered the original volume, and detaches as a result. Depending on the treatment's penetration, the strata could re-configure as small ripples before shedding, in which case one would see flakes, or as a thicker peel.

Obviously, controlling the penetration is a key problem for chemical peels. I think urea would be the faster, extracellular route, but predict glycerin would explode corneocytes, for a gentler shedding. More fracking, less cracking.

Or bumping, or lumping... and there it is, the glycerin connection. Do you really want thin skin? People wonder why old men look so young, while women look like wrinkly "old bags." Could it be 30 years of applying the valorized industrial waste of soapmaking, which is the foundation of all cosmetics? Or is it the fact that we shave? We could wait 30 years and ask the "traditional shavers" of today, with their glycerin shaving soaps.

A Test


I have plenty of pumpkin juice. There are four pumpkin pops from this year's jack-o-lantern scrap experiment, especially, that I don't have any use for. I have a bottle of pure glycerin, from an oil mixing experiment: ditto. And, I have some gnarly-ass feet. I usually use a pumice stone when I shower, but I don't shower often, and lately I've been thinking of it less as "exfoliation," and more as "the only way to get the dirt off my feet." I don't wear slippers or socks, usually.
I'm gonna try to tame these wild dogs, without "peeling" anything! Stay tuned. (Avert your eyes now, if the image might offend.)

No comments:

Post a Comment